Thursday, September 10, 2009

Travel Debacle

Last weekend we went away for three days to visit my in-laws. You would think a short trip like this would be easy, right?

For the 100+ degree weather I decided to pack easy things: 2 onesies, 2 outfits (shirt and shorts) and 2 pajamas. As usual, I had a long sleeve onesie, a short sleeve onesie and a pair of pajamas in my diaper bag for 'just in case' moments. So, I'm prepared, right???

Day 1- Drive 6 hours - when arriving we realized Brett had pooped and it was all over the car seat. Washed car seat cover and changed Brett into a onesie

Day 2- Realized that one of the onesies that I brought was the wrong size- too small, put on an outfit and it was too small! Second outfit fit fine. Put Brett in pajamas for bedtime

Day 3- Dressed Brett in the backup onesie from my diaper bag and drove to Vegas, went in Circus, Circus (it was a madhouse). We left to head home- a little over 4 hours of driving ahead of us. Brett falls asleep and we drive 2 hours to Barstow. We get to In-N-Out and my husband takes Brett out of her car seat while I was doing something (don't remember what). All of the sudden we look down and my husbands shirt is COVERED in POOP! He hands her to me to change her - now I have poop on me! I know that all I have left in my diaper bag is a long-sleeved onesie and pajamas- both way too warm for the weather. However, I have to dress her in something, so I choose the long-sleeved onesie. I look at the tag and it is a 3-month size! Too small! URGH. So, the pajamas it is. We put her in them but roll up the feet portion so that her feet don't get too hot. Ok, 2 hours to go. We get to the Orange area (only 30 miles to go) and I smell poop again. We pull off the road and stop at a gas station. Sure enough, she pooped again! AND, it leaked out of her diapers! So, we took her out of the pajamas and she rode the rest of the way home in her diaper!

Well, I learned my lesson here. I will always check the sizes of the things that I pack and I will double-check the items in my diaper bag to make sure that the sizes are correct.

Lastly, on this trip we brought with us our last pack of Pampers Swaddlers Size 2-3 diapers. I swore by the Pampers Sensitive when Brett was tiny but I was disappointed in the 'holding power' of these diapers. I have been using the Kirkland brand from Costco and have been quite happy with their ability to hold in the yucky stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like a fun trip to me. My Husbands always tells me I pack like if I was moving in with my in laws and I always say, better over packed than sorry :) I work for Pampers and have 2 LO's and when their Pampers start to leak that means is time to move up a size, have you tried that?. Please let us know if we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The size was correct- Brett is 17 pounds and the size fits up to 22 pounds. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete