Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Life As a Mom

My daughter joined our family 6 months ago (actually 16 counting pregnancy). Every day I look at her, and appreciate what a miracle and blessing she is and what joy and happiness she has brought to our lives- I can’t imagine my life without her. Being a mom is such a rewarding experience but I never really grasped the full concept that MY life, as it was, was going to change forever. And boy did I get a reality check when Reagan was born. My life was flipped upside down, backwards, sideways….every which way.
I am (or rather, I was) a big scheduler. I live by lists, day planners and appointment times. I am (was) prompt to every meeting and always fulfilled commitments I made. As you fellow moms can relate, scheduling is out the window with a newborn/infant and your daily schedule revolves around naps, feedings, fussiness and exhaustion.
Before I was pregnant, my husband and I were spontaneous travelers and loved to take last minute adventures to the south pacific, ski weekends and finding desolate, untraveled locations. For some crazy reason, I though having a baby would just mean one more person to take along on our adventures. But when we learned we couldn’t take Reagan in the car for more than 10 minutes without her screaming hysterically, a flight anywhere was out of the question.
My girlfriends and I always made sure to schedule a few weekenders together to Palm Springs, Las Vegas, anywhere we could get away and just be girls. I’ve tried a few overnighters since having Reagan, only to find I’m so worried about her at home or feel guilty about leaving her that these weekends of de-stress are MORE stress for me.
For the first few months of Reagan’s life, I couldn’t wait to get back to our normal life. However, normal has changed for us- for the better. Watching my daughter learn something new or laugh hysterically at her dog are priceless moments compared to an adventurous vacation. Feeding Reagan a new food for the first time and watching the expression on her face as she tastes it is so much more exciting than sitting in some swanky restaurant ordering overpriced steaks. And, hanging out with my daughter, watching “Special Agent Oso” and “Barney and Friends “, watching her eyes light up at her favorite characters beats a trip to Las Vegas any day. Don’t get me wrong, I still need a little R&R (adult time) here and there, but I no longer wish for my old life back. I now only wish I could stop time and have this time with daughter forever. I know it’s going to go fast.

1 comment:

  1. As I read this I felt that I could have been the one writing it! I feel exactly the same way- thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete