Thursday, September 3, 2009

To Sleep Train or Not to Sleep Train

From birth to about 2.5 months, Molly was the type of baby who took hours to put to bed. We would have to walk/rock/bounce her to sleep and then wait until that magical time when she was in a deep enough sleep to transfer her into the crib. Most of the time you would think she was deep asleep to find that when you try to put her in the crib, she would wake up! This went on and on, exhausting both me and my husband. Nighttime feedings were the same process.

Around 2.5 months, after crying in our pediatrician's office, the pediatrician recommended sleep training Molly. Her suggestion was letting her cry in 10 minute increments. I did tons of research on sleep training to see what the best method would be for Molly. We finally decided on Dr. Ferber's sleep method. 



This worked WONDERS for us! We can now put Molly down for bed wide awake and she'll fall asleep on her own...no fussing or crying. This is also the same for nighttime feedings, we're only up maybe 15-20 minutes for a quick feed and she goes right back down.

Now it's come time to figure out if we should sleep train her for nighttime feedings. She's 5 months old and still wakes up once, sometimes twice, a night to feed. The feeding is always very quick, but she wakes up at a different time every night. I have friends who have recommended letting her cry it out or to do Dr. Ferber's method, but all I think about is how quick I can just hook her up to the boob and put her back to sleep!

So this is something we are still trying to figure out! There is always something new for us to think about as moms...what & when is best for our child!? More to come on Molly's sleep training =)...

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm soooo torn about what to do regarding sleep training. Unlike Molly taking hours to go to bed (b4 training) he falls asleep in minutes... however the poor sleep associations have formed! He has started to wake up more frequently looking for the boob. =/ And to make matters worse we've brought him to our bed when exhausted and now I think he wakes up just to be moved out of his crib. I've pretty much done everything the experts tell you not to do. I guess the only thing that is hard for me to justify is letting him cry when I know I could calmly put him to sleep by nursing. I seriously change my mind every day about sleep training him, but after your positive experience the Ferber method may be in our near future. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience and recommending that book, Lisa! We've also been having a difficult time sticking to solid sleep training with Noelani. I always seem to give in by putting her to sleep with the boob and bringing her back into our bed. We will definitely be purchasing Dr. Ferber's book and hopefully soon she'll start falling asleep on her own. I'm sure it will be a struggle at first but totally worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Brett went down to one or two night wakings my husband would go in and pick her up and rock her back to sleep. After about three nights she stopped waking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this post --and for your reply, Holly. Shreyas has always been a great sleeper but for the last week he's been waking up again at night, nursing just a little, and falling back asleep. Two nights ago, he was up at 3am, 5am, and 7am! Since he used to only wake up to nurse, I fed him every time (exhausting!). Then I read your post. So last night when he woke up at 2:30, my husband just rocked him back to sleep and and he slept until 5:30 (a full 8 hrs). Glad it worked and we'll do it again!

    ReplyDelete