Monday, September 28, 2009

Appetite Changes

Brett was exclusively breast fed for the first 6-months of her life. Around 5-months old I had a reduction in my milk supply (see previous posts). I tried multiple things to increase it and it was the introduction a beer a night that seemed to help (I'm serious).

Throughout my breast feeding I found myself to be STARVING constantly. I had to be eating something almost every hour. If I went more than two hours or so without eating I would start to feel weak, my hands would shake and I could even get to the point of being dizzy. I could out-eat my 6'3" 230 pound husband! My brothers teased me about how many tacos I could eat in a sitting. I would rarely feel 'full' even after eating a ton of food. As crazy as it sounds, I was also continuing to lose weight and was down to my pre-pregnancy weight!

At 6-months I gave Brett cereal and then slowly introduced other solids into her diet. This change to her diet resulted in changes to her poop. It became firmer. She was getting two solid food meals a day. I remained hungry at all times.

Around 7-months I decided to introduce formula. I did this because Brett was basically weening herself. She wouldn't stay latched on to my breast for longer than a minute (no exaggeration). It became frustrating for me and she wasn't eating enough during the day. So, that is why the bottle came into play. I started with 3/4 breast milk and 1/4 formula, then moved to 1/2 formula and 1/2 breast milk until it was completely formula.

Now, as Brett is 8-months old she is nursing in the morning when she wakes up and right before bed. Sometimes I nurse her in order for her to take a nap in the afternoon.

As this change with her eating habits has occurred my eating habits have changed as well. I realized one day that I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast and was only slightly hungry! When I am eating now I am able to eat much less than before. I actually get full rather quickly now. Some of my friends that have breast fed in the past have said that they have gained back about 10 lbs after they stop breast feeding so I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me.

Sounds like it time to watch what I eat again. Bummer...

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! Madie is still nursing but I feel like I am always hungry! I can have a huge meal and still feel hungry! I too constantly get teased about how much I eat by my family! I am down to my prepregnancy size by the grace of God but I still feel like I can always eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only breastfed for 3 months- I was so used to eating anything I wanted that after I stopped, the scale started tipping back the other way =).
    Awesome that you got back to pre-preggers weight! I envy that.. and I still mourn the loss of my late night ice cream!

    ReplyDelete