Monday, September 7, 2009

Bathroom Stops

I remember when I first had Brett I was so worried about taking her out in public because I wasn't sure how to take her into the bathroom with me. It seems to obvious now, but it didn't at the time.

My 'been-there-done-that' girlfriend suggested to take her into the handicap bathroom with me. If I had her in the stroller I would simply bring her in with me. If I had her car seat in a shopping cart it was a bit more complicated but I would just bring her in and set the car seat on the ground.

I had this pretty well figured out. That is, until this weekend. On the way home from visiting the in-laws we stopped at Circus, Circus in Las Vegas so that my nephews could play at the arcade. This was the worst idea ever. It was literally wall-to-wall people there. As soon as we walked in it honestly smelled like dirty diapers.

I had Brett in the umbrella stroller, which we were using for the first time. She didn't love it but she seemed to be managing. When we got there I took her into the restroom. There was a long line and only one handicap bathroom. The whole place was filthy. As we waited in line, she started crying.

I kept looking around wondering if I should just wait for the handicap one to open or squeeze her into a small stall. I was going to wait for the handicap restroom when my mother-in-law walked in and entertained her while I went and then we switched.

I'm not sure why this stressed me out, but it did. I was nervous in the entire situation- just too many people in too small a space. We left after about 15 minutes.

I guess the moral of the story is to be prepared when going out so you know how you are going to handle your own 'potty' stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment