Sunday, August 23, 2009

First Week Back to Work

On my first day back to work, I cried when I dropped Molly off at school (I couldn't even make it to the car!) and twice throughout the day at work. Even though I had a dry-run of taking Molly to school, it was still one of the hardest days of my life! I think knowing that I would be gone from her for 10 hours straight with no opportunity to cave in and pick her up was heart wrenching! When my husband picked Molly up, the teachers had felt bad seeing me cry in the morning so they had taken pictures of Molly smiling throughout the day to show me that she was happy...warmed my heart that they cared enough to do something so thoughtful!

Day 2 was easier. I cried, just a little, when my mother-in-law came to watch her. Molly tends to put up more a fight when taking her bottles for grandma, but I knew she would be okay. I am proud to say that I made it the day without crying at work!

Day 3 was a little bit easier than the last two...no crying!

Day 4...I reverted back to how I felt on Day 1...no one tells you that you can go back on the emotion scale!!! I didn't cry, but I felt like I was in a funk. To make matters worse, my mother-in-law called me to ask if I could come home during lunch to nurse Molly because Molly had been crying all morning...she thought Molly was sick. Ugh! So I now had to think like a mommy AND a professional. I talked to my manager and cleared me taking the rest of the day off if needed. I went home and assessed the situation...Molly needed her mommy! I actually felt good about staying home and not going back to work for the day. If you knew me prior to having a baby I would have stewed all day about the impression it would have left on people at work that I had suddenly left my first week back.

Day 5 was probably the easiest day back because my husband stayed with Molly all day. They dropped me off and picked me up from work (my car is the only baby friendly car) so I had more time with both my husband & Molly than I had all week! 

The things that helped me survive each day...
1) Seeing Molly happy to see me when I got home from work...she didn't forget me!
2) Surprisingly, the time I had to pump, 3 times a day at work...it gave me time to just sit & think about Molly (ok, and a little Facebook/email time).
3) Having my husband support me throughout the week by giving me a solid 1.5-2 hours before Molly went to bed to soley focus on Molly. He would wash all my pump items and get the house ready for the next day.
4) Finding a moment I shared with Molly each morning to focus on for the rest of the day.

This week was by far one of the hardest weeks of my life, but I need to continue being strong for my daughter. Until I find something else that will provide me more time at home, I need to continue being a professional and give my job 110% when I'm there, but still remember how important work/life balance is now that I have a daughter!

To all those working moms out there....hang in there! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you are so strong to get through this- I got teary-eyed reading this. You are doing such a great thing for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your honesty and courage. Good luck this week, Lisa! We're all pullin for ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. There are so many moms out there that feel exactly like you do. This is week 4 for me and unfortunately it hasn't gotten any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been back at work for 3 weeks now and it is such a relief when Shreyas is home with his Dad. Then I know I have nothing to worry about, and the baby will be fine until I'm back home. For me, this makes it much easier to enjoy my time at work too.

    ReplyDelete