Saturday, August 29, 2009

Teething Foods

After 7 months we are just starting to show signs of teething (I think). There is much more chewing on fingers and an increased amount of drooling.

Besides the raspberry teether (which we love) and the Born Free teething products (also wonderful) we have been told to try freezing bagels and waffles and letting Brett chew on them.

We were trying to get through dinner tonight with a fussy baby so we decided to go ahead and try giving Brett a frozen Eggo waffle. After all, it was in our freezer and more than one person recommended it.

She was so excited to have 'food!' She knew exactly what to do with it. She grabbed it with both hands and put it right into her mouth. She was gnawing away at it and we were all enjoying our time at the table. We noticed that she was getting small pieces off of it, but they were so small, and she was chewing them, that we thought we'd let her have it. Soon after we noticed she had quite a bit in her mouth so I put my finger in and began scooping some out. I obviously didn't get all of it because she swallowed and started gagging!

I jumped up and pulled her tray off of the high chair! My husband remained calm (he says he was assessing the situation). She quickly cleared the food on her own and all was well. It was probably good that my husband was the yin to my yang and that we both didn't panic.

So, moral of the story, frozen waffles don't stay frozen or hard long enough to allow your baby to chew on them as a teething toy.

4 comments:

  1. I love the "assessing the situation"...that's totally Bryan! Thank you for sharing! I know I'd probably panic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Point taken, no frozen waffles! I guess I'll stick with the good 'ol fashioned teething toys...or perhaps some rum...no, no, no, definitely the teething toys. I'll save the rum for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Holly. The chilled teething toys seem to provide the best relief for Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried pasta the other night and it was the same thing. My sister in law and I got up right away when she starting gagging. And my husband and my brother in law sat still. She eventually swallowed it! But no more pasta unless it is in the blneder!

    ReplyDelete