Friday, August 21, 2009

Date Night

My husband and I went on a date night last night! It was the first time we left Brett to fall asleep at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Usually they come to our house but we were going to have a late night so we took her there.

This was our fourth date night since Brett was born. We went for dinner at Downtown Disney and then went into Disneyland to watch the Electrical Parade and the Firework show.

We made a few rules for our date nights. It helps us focus on each other and all of the things we used to talk about before we had a baby and became a one-income family....
#1- We can't talk about Brett (ok, we break this one usually, but we try to just talk about her at the beginning of the dinner)
#2- No talking about money

We had such a nice dinner. We ate at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. I highly recommend it. Anyways, it was a great time. I texted my mom during dinner and she had already put Brett to sleep. However, Brett hadn't eaten much- she only ate about 2 ounces of her bottle. This was a bit unnerving, but she was already sleeping so I decided that I would continue to enjoy myself and the cocktail that I was drinking.

When we went to pick her up, around 10:30pm (we didn't stay out as late as we had planned to- we were so tired) it was sweet seeing her sleeping in her pack n' play but I was glad to get her home. She woke up for the ride home and then I nursed her to sleep.

My point in all of this is that Brett was fine while we were gone and we got a chance to have some much needed one-on-one time. I think it is SO important for everyone to have a date night at least once a month. Last week my husband and I ordered in Chinese, put Brett to bed, and we sat on the couch (tv off) and talked for a couple of hours. It gave a chance to reconnect with each other and cuddle together on the couch.

I just think that although our babies are now the focus of our life we have to remember that our husbands still need our love and attention and affection and we still need that from them.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a fun date night, Holly! Every night we say we are going to spend some quiet time together after Matthew falls asleep, and every night I end up being so tired that I go to bed as soon as the little guy goes down. =/ Thanks for the reminder to make date nights a bigger priority!

    ReplyDelete