Saturday, August 29, 2009

Baby Activities

I have always been a person to keep myself busy. I guess it isn't surprising that I have enrolled my daughter in more than one activity. I have had Brett enrolled in Gymboree since she was about 3 1/2 months old. She was a VERY fussy baby, but every time we were at Gymboree she was so happy! We now attend a place called Sunshine Music (more on that later) and Mommy-and-Me swim lessons.

Starting with the best, Gymboree. The bell gets her attention as class starts and the combination of singing, dancing and movements has been like a 'happy button' for her. If she falls asleep on the way to class I even wake her up to attend. I know, I know, you are never supposed to wake a sleeping baby, BUT Gymboree isn't cheap (especially in Orange County), and I try to attend as many classes as possible. She is never cranky at Gymboree.

For those that attend the Aliso Viejo location, you know that there is one exceptional instructor. On Saturdays she teaches in the Rancho Santa Margarita location so today, my husband and I decided to drive a bit further to that class. To our surprise, she had been called to the Aliso facility today! We debated leaving, but decided to stay. The instructor was very good and we had an enjoyable time.

This is in great contrast to our experience earlier this morning. I signed up for Sunshine Music for children. The theme for this round of classes is called Magical Musicals. Being a theatre geek, I was so excited and signed Brett up. While the instructor is a wonderful girl with an amazing voice, the class really isn't very structured and isn't appropriate for babies (even though it says the age appropriateness begins at 6 months). Brett ends up watching the other little girls jump and dance around, which is slightly entertaining, but hardly gets me through the full 45 minutes. I don't like to be negative about things, but I wouldn't recommend this class for your children.

Gymboree is much more structured and seems to focus more on your baby's development.

1 comment:

  1. We also went to the Rancho Gymboree yesterday for the same reason and were bummed she wasn't there. =( It was our instructor's first time teaching the baby class... not nearly the same!

    ReplyDelete