Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My Baby Can Read?

A few of you have asked how I like the Your Baby Can Read program. I have to say, it was not my idea to purchase it. It showed up on our doorstep one day! My husband had made the executive decision to purchase the program for our daughter because it's never too early to read. =)

First, lets talk about cost. The television infomercial advertises it for $14.99. However, that is the 30-day trial price. The true price is $199.99!

You receive a nice size box in the mail. There is a small booklet giving instructions to the parent on how to use the system. And, let me tell you, it is quite some work for the parent.

First is the Starter set. This set has a DVD, a book and a set of flashcards. For one month you are supposed to do the following: show the video twice a day (it is 22 minutes long), read the book once a day, and go through a few of the flashcards "several" times a day.

After a month of the Starter set you move on to Level 1. This one you have the similar instructions. For two months you are to play the DVD once or twice a day, put in the starter DVD a few times a week, read the book once a day and go through a few of the flashcards "several" times a day.

I will say that the DVD is a nice distraction when you are trying to get something done. And, the videos definitely hold my daughters attention. In fact, she flaps her arms and giggles with little Eleka introduces the video.

We have been showing our daughter the videos, reading the books, and doing the flashcards for two and half months. She maybe recognizes some of the words. The parent manual does say it can take up to 7 months for your baby to read, though it can be longer or shorter depending on your child.

There are a few other moms using the Your Baby Can Read system and I would love to hear their thoughts on it, especially the ones that have babies approaching a year old.

All in all, I don't really have a strong opinion of this one way or the other. I will be sure to provide another update in a few months.

3 comments:

  1. We love those videos! We started Astro at 2 months and have done it pretty much everyday at least once a day since. The first videos are only 20 min long but the 5th? Review video is 40 minutes. 40 glorious minutes! where he is intensely watching the video and we can just leave him alone in the loft and go do other household chores. He definately tries to interact with the video and loves when they sing songs. Admittedly, I haven't done the related books or flashcards with him. We are now trying other videos in addition to the Your Baby Can Read ones - Blues Clues (Shapes & Colors and Brainy Baby ABCs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This program does work! My niece, Kayleigh, started this program when she turned 2, and has been doing it for 5 months now. Here is a video of her reading the flashcards:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv4yFs8DIPc

    We would like to introduce Owen to this program eventually, but I'm indecisive about when to start it. At 5 months old, I feel like he's still a bit young. I question just how much he'll actually benefit from it at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth that is awesome! Maybe we are starting Brett too soon. That video has definitely given me hope that it will work!

    ReplyDelete