Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Pill Can Affect Your Milk Supply

A couple months ago I really struggled with keeping up my milk supply for little Molly. I even went to a Lactation Consultant at Milkalicious (love them!) to help me figure out how to increase my milk supply. When I did a pre/post weigh with them, Molly was only taking in about an ounce...she should have been getting 3-4 ounces! 

After the consultation I started diligently working on some of the things we had discussed, such as feeding Molly more frequently, pumping after every feed for 15 minutes (yuck!) and even taking some medication that is suppose to help. Part way through my quest to ramp up my milk supply, I realized that I had started taking the pill (the mini-pill) right around the same time my milk supply had dropped. I had also remembered my OB saying that any pill could potentially affect my milk, but the mini-pill had the best results overall. This led me to stop taking the pill to see what would happen...to my milk, not reproducing baby #2 =).

Along with the things the Lactation Consultant recommended and discontinuing the pill, my milk supply increased from 1 ounce to 4 ounces!!! More than tripled!

If you notice a drop in your milk supply, the pill could be the cause, so make sure you contact your Doctor or a Lactation Consultant to help you sort through any other potential causes.

Happy breastfeeding!

1 comment:

  1. Such a revelation! I'm not sure why I'm on the pill anyhow! hehehe

    ReplyDelete