Thursday, August 6, 2009

Very Hungry Girl

As I embarked on feeding my daughter baby food (purchased, not homemade) I have already had so many questions-
Do I wait 3, 4, 6, 7 days inbetween introducing new food?
Should I stick to vegetables (no fruit until she's a year old as recommended by our pediatrician)?
Do I feed her an entire stage 1 container or just half?

I will say that I have been waiting 6-7 days inbetween introducing new food to make sure there is no allergic reaction.

We are three weeks in and we have only fed her vegetables so far (I want to give her fruits but my hubby is siding with the pediatrician).

So, the big question for now is how much is enough? Unfortunately, I learned the hard way when I was attending a little birthday party last night. I brought a stage 1 container, a breastmilk bottle, and, of course, my own milk machines.

First I tried to breastfeed her, but she was much too distracted at everything going on around her. Next, I fed her the 4 ounce bottle I had brought with me. She drank it down, all gone, but she was still hungry! Next, I gave her an entire stage 1 container of carrots, but she was still hungry! She actually cried when there was no more to eat! I put her back on my breast and she ate a bit and seemed to be done.

Her appetite is obviously growing and now I know to carry around more food with me. I guess I learn something new everday.

Some of you may have recognized my reference to the awesome children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. It is a great board book for babies. It allows you to count with your baby, discuss colors, and point out different types of food. It is a quick read that is sure to capture your babies attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment