Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Flu

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding the flu shots. In our home we decided that we would all get the regular flu shot (including Brett) and then if any of us got ill we would know if was H1N1. This was the plan until Friday, when we went to our 9-month pediatircian appointment.
The pediatrician recommended that all three of us get both flu shots. In fact, the doctor had the H1N1 flu mist vaccine for adults and offered it to my husband and I. We quickly agreed that we would take it to protect Brett. She got the regular flu shot and we got the mist for H1N1. No big deal, right?

Brett was out of sorts for almost two days. I am now sick! I have a sore throat and a stuff nose and my chest is congested. Apparently, these are all side effects of the flu mist. I was also told today, when I called the nurseline of my insurance company, that since I am experiencing symptoms there is a slight risk of transmitting it to those I have close contact with! Well, needless to say, I am a bit scared that Brett is foot to get sick. I've taken tylenol and am trying to avoid too close of contact with her.

Be careful with what vaccines you choose. The mist is a live version of the flu whereas the shot is a dead version. I knew this going into it but I thought I wouldn't have side effects. Hopefully my household stays healthy through this flu season and hopefully my 'side effects' leave quickly!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,

    This is Rashmi, Annie's friend. It was so good to see you guys at the wedding last weekend. I finally found your blog. I love it. I am actually going to link to this post from my H1N1 post.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Holly! We haven't decided yet what we are going to do about the flu vaccine, so hearing your experience is helpful. Hope you are all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete