Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Up, Up and Away


Last weekend we took Brett on her first airplane trip- a weekend jaunt to San Jose to visit our friends. I was concerned about bringing all of the right things (though I was lucky enough to have friends to borrow pack-n-plays from as well as other large essential items). However, I was most nervous about getting through security and taking her on the plane. Understand, I traveled for work for two years and I would hate to see a family ahead of me in the queue and I would be secretly thinking 'please, please don't let them be on my flight' (especially if they had a baby with them). So, you can understand my fear. Here I am: that mom bringing a baby onto a plane.

To my relief, John Wayne Airport has a line now for Families and First Time Travelers. I was so happy to see that! My husband and I made it through security with no problem. Thank goodness for some advice from a girlfriend of mine with three children (who, the superwoman that she is, travels alone with them). She told me to put Brett in the Baby Bjorn as soon as we got out of the car and that I could wear her through security. Well, that really was a lifesaver. However, lesson learned: Leave the baby in the Baby Bjorn until you get on the plane...

So, Brett fussed a bit on the tiny plane and yes, we got the stare-down from weary business travelers. I deserved it, as I had done the same thing in my previous life...
Brett decided to eat, I nursed her and she slept the entire flight to San Jose!

The return flight was just as painless. She nursed (more like 'snacked') the entire flight but I was happy about that- she didn't cry even once!

Brett has now experienced two 6+ hour road trips and a plane flight. What a little traveler for 5 months old. And, importantly, my husband and I have made it through the experiences as well. Next up, traveling with Brett alone... not sure when I'll be ready for that one!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear a nice story! My mom is begging me to visit her in Florida, and I'm scared. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old, and doing it alone scares me. I did find out that my husband can get a security pass so that he can assist me all the way until boarding. We did that last time I went out with just one child, and it was a huge help. I'm just worried about managing two on the plane, and figuring out how to take my 3 year old potty or change my 6 month old's diaper. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,

    So great to hear how well Brett did on the plane! My hubby and I were those people that hated the babies on the plane as well and on July 24th we will be that family.Thanks for the BB advise..I will put that on right away!!

    I hope he sleeps....


    Beth G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies!
    I am a friend of Holly's and I think this blog is such a great forum for all of you! I hope you all love your new "mommy" job!

    I travel solo with my three kids, ages 4, 2, & 9 months, on a regular basis and Holly asked if I had any suggestions for you ladies. Boy, do I ever! Just remember that you have as much right to travel as everyone else, so ignore the nasty looks! So here goes…..
    ARRIVING AT THE AIRPORT: If you are traveling with one, put the baby in the Baby Bjorn before you walk into the airport. Use your stroller to pile all of your stuff in to get from the curb to check in. If you are traveling with two, put the big kid in your double stroller and the baby in the Bjorn. The Bjorn(slings work too!) is great because you don’t have to take the baby out when you go through security. Always ask the check in agent if the flight is full. If it is not full, often (if you smile oh so sweetly) the ticket agent will block an empty seat next to you and you can bring your car seat on (traveling heaven!). Note-check all of your luggage and only carry on your diaper bag. It’s too much to try and get a baby, suitcase, purse, and diaper bag all onto the plane.

    ON THE PLANE: After several very painful gate delays in sweltering Dallas heat, I have learned that it is best to board the plane LAST. This may seem counterintuitive to getting on the plane and getting settled in, but hear me out. When you get on the plane last, you minimize your time in your seat. Your baby doesn’t want to sit for hours in your lap any more than you do. Sometimes the airline will stop boarding for various reasons. If you are first on the plane, you are stuck there in your seat! If you wait to board you can stay in the boarding area until it is time to go. Far better to have a crying baby in the lobby versus a cramped airline seat with everyone glaring at you!

    For those of you with toddler age and up I have two pieces of advice for you, Snacks and DVD’s. If you don’t believe in letting your kids have candy or watching TV, please save your sanity and give in for plane trips. Bribery works wonders to get kids to behave. I load my diaper bag up with lots of snacks, sippy cups, and M&M’s & Tootsie Roll Pops (my kid’s favorites). They get a lollipop once they get their seat belts on. This lets me get settled! Once we take off I bust out the portable DVD player and I let them watch movies the rest of the way. A side note – DVD players are awesome when you take kids to restaurants while you are waiting for dinner to come!

    For potty breaks and diaper changes, we all pile into the bathroom with the baby in the Bjorn. If there is a friendly flight attendant I will ask her to hold the baby. It’s a tight squeeze but you do what you have to do. I now let my 4 year old stay in her seat while I take my younger two.

    I could blab on and on about this, but I will end here. You will be exhausted and wonder if the travel is worth it, but think of all the memories you are making! Travel safe and have fun!

    Jen Lipscomb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you Jen for the wonderful advice. I may be able to travel with the two little ones after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the 4th of July my 10 week old and I traveled to Dallas. My husband was able to help out for the trip there but we had to fly solo going home. I totally agree with Holly about the Baby Bjorn. That was by far the best thing I could have brought with me. It made getting through security a piece of cake. My recommendation would be to make sure your little one is sucking on something for the take off and landing. Addison did great! I am just not looking forward to Christmas when she will be a little bit more active. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for th advice...We are flying to St. Louis to visit family in August.I am nervous about all the people that are going to be annoyed as soon as they see us. Wish us luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the advice! The Baby Bjorn and boarding last were especially helpful on our trip. (My husband had to meet us there and leave early because of work, so I had to handle both flights solo!) Matthew was great... slept almost the whole 4 hours both ways! He wasn't interested in sucking for the take off or landing (too much to look at on the way up, asleep on the way down) but his ears never bothered him. The only bad part was walking on the plane and knowing that everyone is staring at you hoping that you're not sitting next to them, haha. Of course we ended up next to two business men, but they both commented what an excellent baby he was after the flight, so fortunately we weren't a bother!

    ReplyDelete