Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sad Baby

For the newer mommies out there I wanted to retell my story of Brett's unhappiness during her first 3 1/2 months of life.
Brett cried for most of her first 3 1/2 months of life. Being a first time mommy I really didn't know that it wasn't "normal." She had to be held constantly and she would do this grunt-like cry, even if held. It was so sad, but again, I thought it was normal. That is, until I went to a baby shower when Brett was almost 2 months old. All of mom's there kept saying things like, "wow, you have your work cut out for you" and "you really have your hands full." I came home and talked to my mom about it and she said, "It's really not typical for a baby to cry this much unless she is colicky."
So, off to the doctor we went. After a series of questions he ruled out colic because she was sleeping like a normal newborn should sleep. He said it must be what I was eating since she was purely breastfed. First, he told me to eliminate dairy. I did this and it did seem to help (after a while, because dairy takes 2 weeks to clear out of your system). Still, she wasn't as happy as I thought she should be.
Next, the pediatrician put me on an elimination diet. All I was allowed to eat for four days was chicken, squash, steamed rice and peaches. I was STARVING, but I did it. There was absolutely no change to Brett's disposition. I called the doctor after four days and he said to try it for three more days... OMG! Well, I did, and still no change.
After calling the doctor again with the last bit of strength that I had (since I had eaten so little) he told me that there was one other possibility. He said, "for the heck of it, stop taking your prenatal vitamins."
I stopped taking the prenatal vitamins and that very next day Brett was a different baby! She was happy!!!
So, I'm not sure if it was that she had grown out of the problem at 3 1/2 months, if it was the removal of the vitamins, or if the stars all aligned properly but whatever it was she has been a different, happier baby and my husband and I are happier now, too. A crying baby can really put a strain on things...

2 comments:

  1. Wow Holly, you have a heck of a lot of will power to go through that dieting. Jackson was a big terror for the first few months, but I knew it wasn't colic. We kept doing our thing, and at around 4 months he turned into the most friendly and happy baby. I am so glad for that turn around because it was getting very tough being the only person that could ever hold him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, thanks for sharing!!!! Molly was a fussy baby for the first couple months, but in the last month she has been a lot happier. The thing we're noticing now is that she is super happy at home and when we're out in public...restaurants, walking, etc. she fusses and cries a lot. The advice I keep getting is that she's probably overwhelmed with new environments and feels safe/comfortable at home. I just hope she grows out of this soon. I'm trying to be strong and keep taking her out in public, but it starts to wear on a person!

    Funny thing...she has ALWAYS loved Gymboree- haha!

    ReplyDelete