Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Big Step to Cereal

While there seems to be a debate on the best time to start giving your infant her first tastes of cereal (some say 4 months, others 6 months) there is no question that, here in the U.S., rice cereal is the first food that a baby is fed.

At our four month doctor appointment our pediatrician told me to wait until Brett was 6 months before I fed her. If you have read my previous blogs you know that Brett has a very sensitive stomach. So, at 24 weeks (technically Brett was 6 months at that point even though her actual '6-month birthday' was two weeks away) I gave Brett rice cereal.

I did the recommended amount to start and I used formula to make it with. I did this based on a recommendation from another mom so that Brett could get used to the taste of formula in case I had to start feeding it to her. I gave Brett cereal at lunchtime every day for almost two weeks. She turned into a very fussy baby during this period but I was convinced she must be teething now.

During this same time I attended a baby shower and was discussing Brett's eating and then her teething with another mom. The mom suggested that I switch from rice cereal (which apparently is very hard on babies' tummies) to oatmeal cereal. She said that rice cereal is very hard to digest and that the oatmeal cereal has 1 gram of fiber in it. So, of course, I went and bought the oatmeal cereal that same day.

Brett really likes the taste of the oatmeal cereal better than the rice cereal. She eats it sometimes faster than I can shovel it in! I still mix it with formula and she has no problem eating it.

It has been 3 days now on the oatmeal cereal. We have a doctor appointment tomorrow and I can't wait to ask what the next food is that I can give her!

I will say that Brett went from consistently pooping every morning to not pooping for 2 days! When she did - WOW! Not only was the consistency different but the smell was awful! I have been spoiled by the breast-fed baby non-smelly poop.

The non-smelly diaper is one of many things that I miss as Brett gets older. And she gets older every day... =)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really a fan of baby cereal. Most of it has zero nutritional value besides the breastmilk/formula you mix it with. I fed Jackson cereal maybe three times total, but he didn't take to it very well so I gave up. He does get one meal of baby food once a day for dinner. And then I nurse him right after. He's loving his veggies! I can't wait until he gets some teeth going so we can start eating mushy avocados and bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started feeding Matthew rice cereal for dinner (he's 4 1/2 months) and he's now sleeping 9+ hours straight at night! Wish I could have given it to him sooner, haha. I can't wait to give him some variety at 6 months!

    ReplyDelete