Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bouncy Chair Mishap

I consider myself to be an attentive mother. I don't leave Brett alone unless I am certain that she can do no harm to herself. You know how it is, I will put her on her play mat (with the toys dangling overhead) and take a shower or strap her into her swing while I put my make-up on.
So, when I put Brett in her bouncy chair the other day to watch "Your Baby Can Read" (yes, my husband was somehow suckered into purchasing it) I was sure she would be safe.

I was going to strap her in but my hubby insisted that Brett played with the belt the entire time rather than watching the video, so I didn't strap her in. I heard her complaining about 15 minutes into the video but I figured she was just getting bored. Can you believe that I didn't go check on her? I simply completed my make-up application...when I walked into the other room Brett was on the floor (on her tummy) next to the chair. She had fallen out! I couldn't believe it! With my heart racing I swiped her up and checked to make sure she was ok. She, at that point, was unphased. I vowed that I would strap her in next time, even if she did get distracted by the belt, and that I would check on her more often.

Just a few days later I had her strapped into the bouncy chair to watch "Your Baby Can Read" again. I was sure she would be safe and sound this time so I went back into my bathroom to get ready during the 20 minutes of the video. I got distracted with my desire to blow dry my hair that day and I didn't go check on her. About 15 minutes or so into the video I could hear Brett complaining again and, again, I thought she was just getting bored (no, I didn't learn my lesson the first time).

When I went out to get her she was DANGLING down from the chair! She had propelled her body forward but the belt had held her in and she was upside down! I pulled her up and unstrapped her, her face red from the blood rushing to it. She, again, was unfazed but that was the last time I used the bouncy chair.

Why am I admitting this to everyone? Not so I can be vilified as a mom too concerned with her appearance, but so that other new moms know that we all make mistakes and that we should learn from them so that we don't make the same mistake twice (or three times)...

2 comments:

  1. I must have missed this post when you first posted it! THANK YOU for sharing! I'm sure we all have situations like these that we slowly learn from as new moms!

    Can I just say that the way you describe both incidents was hilarious...good writing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew is a master escape artist as well, and has learned to scooch his way out of everything! So scary.

    We are also using "Your Baby Can Read." Let me know if you have any success with it, since you're a couple months ahead of us!

    ReplyDelete