Friday, February 5, 2010

First Year

I can hardly believe that the first year has come and gone so quickly. My little baby girl, the girl that I carried for 38 weeks, delivered with relative ease and who cried for the first four months is now a happy little walker who brings joy to every second of my life.

There were times in those first few weeks that I thought "why did we have a baby? what were we thinking?" These thoughts then turned to thoughts of "why is she crying all the time? what can I do to help here?" This went on for FOUR months. Then, as I've mentioned before, the doctor suggested I stop taking my prenatal vitamin since I was breast feeding and, kazaam! No more crying. She was then a happy baby girl.

It was so fun to watch her lift her head, learn to roll over in one direction and then another. Then, to get up on all fours and rock back and forth wanting to move, but not knowing how. So quickly, at almost 7 months old, she started crawling. As the weeks went on she got faster and faster. Boy, was that a life changer! She became verbal, she laughed at things and cooed constantly. I began enjoying her more and more every day.

It's not that I didn't enjoy her for the first few months, it was just a lot of sitting around for me, which was a huge transition from my hectic career that I had just left. Now, I never get to sit still! She has been walking since a little before her year birthday and she never stops. I follow her around and watch as she discovers new things around the house every day.

I love every moment of this new life of mine. I love watching her as she learns to walk. She looks like a drunken soldier most of the time (or the bride of frankenstein) and it makes me laugh. I love to hear her try to repeat words that I say. Dog is aga. Cat is ca. Duck is duh. I understand her little language and it is our special language for this short time.

I even love when she misbehaves. I am so fascinated with her mental development. I know I should be mad when I tell her not to throw her food on the floor and, instead of listening to me she looks me dead in the eye and drops the food once again. She is testing me and, instead of getting frustrated I laugh. I know, not the best form of discipline but I can't help it! i just love watching how she thinks things through!

So, the first year was a learning experience for all of us and I am so excited to see what this next year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment