Sunday, November 29, 2009

Puddles on the Floor

I remember how hard it was to take a shower with a newborn. Minutes after I set my daughter in her bouncy seat, she would scream hysterically. So I would frantically jump in the shower- there was no time to wait for the hot water to kick in. I’d lather up fast, most of the time skipping the hair wash- all while trying to sing every nursery rhyme I knew to try to calm her down. I would even shower with the door open so she could see me (which rarely made a difference). This always led to puddles on the floor as water sprouted in all directions. I’d turn the water off and jump out of the shower wet (adding to the puddles) and grab Reagan to calm her down- and of course Reagan would get soaking wet since I was soaking wet—ah what a disaster! 4, 5, 6 months go by and showers are my best friend! Reagan would sit in her play set- very content while I casually showered. I was confident she couldn’t get anywhere fast and I was able to ensure she couldn’t get into trouble during those 15 minutes. The days of short showers were history for us—or so I thought.
Fast forward to crawling!!!!!!!! OMG- I feel like we are back to the newborn stage! My shower this morning went something like this. I set Reagan in her play set (as usual) and did my area glance to ensure she could not get herself into trouble. 1 minute into my shower, Reagan was across the room, determined to grab the electrical cords (of course she goes for the electrical cords- since, of course, I procrastinated on baby proofing). I jumped out of the shower- soap and shampoo everywhere! Puddles of water follow me as I reposition her in back in her play set. Back in the shower I go and back to the electrical cords she goes. AHHH! I jump out again (one leg shaved) - more puddles in the bathroom. We went through this a few times until I gave up and decided to just rinse off and try to shave my legs another time. Just as I finish rinsing off, Reagan crawled into the puddles in the bathroom and laid flat into to the water (laughing hysterically—I guess that’s better than crying hysterically). We were both soaking wet, AGAIN. This all was way too familiar!!!

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! Madison has been into everything since she started crawling. I take my shower when she is asleep because I have no place to put her when she is awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's crawling... yeah!! Well, not for your showers, but yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. So funny how they go exactly where you DON"T want them to... i.e. electrical cords! Matthew gets strapped into a vibrating chair ("the shower chair") and I face him towards me, a window, the mirror, or Your Baby Can Read. I do end up with floor puddles occasionally when I jump out to give him a different view. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I totally feel your pain on this one. It seems almost impossible to take a shower now that Noe is crawling. I figure I'll be able to get a shower in when daddy comes home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. So this is what I have to look forward to? Shreyas can move around now by rolling and scooting but now I know what lies ahead.... Thanks for this funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny! I have found that the only peaceful time to take a shower is just after Riley goes to bed and just before I go to bed. When she was a newborn, I would sometimes shower at 3, 4 or 5 am - just after a morning feeding.

    ReplyDelete