Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Growing Up

It seems so crazy that Brett will be 10 months old on Sunday. Time flies. I realized a couple of things this week. It is interesting that each phase that the baby goes through seems so amazing, yet then it is (sometimes) trumped by the next phase. There are so many good and bads with each phase.

For example, my husband and I were ready to move Brett out of the co-sleeper (and our bed) and into her crib. Believe it or not, she's been sleeping in her crib since the night of her 2-month birthday! It was nice to have the bed back and I was able to sleep so much better without hearing every breath that she took. So, when Brett got sick this week while my husband was out of town, and she woke up in the middle of the night (something she rarely does) I brought her in to bed with me to sleep. It was so awesome having her in bed with me- snuggling next to me! I wanted her to sleep with me the next night but knew I had to put her in her crib. I've let her take her morning nap in my bed the last two mornings. It's been quite cold (for California) and I climbed back in bed to snuggle with her as she napped.

I know that I've talked about her tantrums (and other moms have talked about their baby's tantrums) so that is definitely a downfall of the current age, but there are some really cool things, too. It was awesome to see a couple weeks ago that Brett started clapping her hands. Then, it got better when she clapped her hands when we sing "If you're happy and you know it!" Awesome! Today I taught her the stomp your feet part, and she got it! Another thing, I have been trying to teach her that when she gets to a stair (we only have two in our house) that she needs to turn herself around and back down it. Today she did it! I was so proud. I was clapping and kissing her and I told her to give me a high-five and she did! It was awesome!

This is sappy, but as I went to brush my teeth tonight I saw that her little toothbrush was sitting next to mine. She has two teeth that are only about 1/4 of the way in but I brush her teeth in the morning after I brush mine. I just thought to myself that she is going to be a little girl before I know it!

It's actually been, in a way, a good thing that she got sick this week. I stayed home for two days (something I never do) and that gave me the opportunity to play with her more one-on-one and read and interact. I really appreciated the past couple of days and I am really enjoying this phase of her life. I feel so blessed to be able to stay home with her and have these experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Holly-
    I feel the same way! When Reagan came down with a really high fever a few weeks ago, she had to sleep ON ME until she felt better. It brought back memories of Reagan as a newborn when this was the ONLY way she would sleep and I realized how much I miss it. I was so tempted to bring her back into bed with us after she felt better, but I knew she needed to be back in her room. =(

    ReplyDelete