Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pregnancy War Wounds

After my daughter was born, I thought I got away with minor pregnancy “war wounds”. Besides a few extra lbs, a separation of my stomach muscles, a c-section scar and a few dark spots on my face, I didn’t have a whole lot to complain about. Three months after she was born, I went to get my hair done and my stylist asked me if I lost any hair yet? “What?” I asked confused. “I’ve never heard of anyone losing their hair”. She went on to tell me that, about 3-4 months after childbirth, many women loose hair, and some loose a noticeable amount. “Ha”, I thought, “one more war wound I escaped”. And besides, even if I did lose some hair, I thought I’d hardly notice it since I have so much to begin with.
2 weeks later, it happened. I literally woke up one morning to find my hair had fallen out—and A LOT of it! I had the receding hair-line of a 55-year-old man! My hair-line was gone! It was so bad that I couldn’t wear my hair up without having someone in my family, so eloquently ask, “What happened to your hair??”
But it turns out, losing my hair wasn’t the worst part- it’s now the re-growth that has become my worst enemy. The re-growth of my hairline now makes me look as if I have stuck my finger in a socket. And there are several hairs that won’t do anything but sprout out like two bull horns on the sides of my head! I’ve tried hairspray, gel, everything- but these bull horns aren't going away!
Who would have thought that after 1o months post-childbirth, I’d still be battling pregnancy war wounds? Well, now that I think about it, I still have 5 extra lbs, I still have that darn dark pregnancy line down my stomach, I still have separated stomach muscles and I still have dark spots on my face… you know what, OH WELL! -I call it the initiation into motherhood.. you aren’t admitted without a few war wounds.

5 comments:

  1. I remember when my hair started falling out I thought something was wrong with me and then someone told me and I thought they were smoking something. But I afree it is a war wound on us from them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Hair loss here, too! And I had A LOT to start with. Oh well...

    You know, if you get preggers again it will probably grow back even quicker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd got away with it too - mine didn't start until 5 1/2 months pp. I now look like I am growing a lions mane when I wear my hair up - it just sticks out every where. Still it'll get longer and less noticable soon enough and it will just be another one of those stages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! I lost so much hair that I feel like I need to put on a shower head whenever at home. So that I won't clean up the hair from the floor every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost a lot of hair too, but my hair is so thick that I only noticed the hair loss when I was in the shower and it would all fall out. but now I too have all these crazy short hairs that just stick up along my hair line, I hope it grows quickly.

    ReplyDelete